May 25, 2022
The Master Gardener program provides research based information for gardeners. Below are a few notes taken from the turf management portion of the program.
• Rough bluegrass is probably the best grass in Montana for shady areas.
• Kentucky bluegrass is the best grass for open sunny areas with well-drained soil.
• Annual ryegrass can be used as a cover crop following vegetable production.
• The standard lawn mix is 60% Kentucky bluegrass, 30% creeping red fescue and 10% annual ryegrass.
• Zoysiagrass does not grow well in Montana. Montana summers are not warm enough for warm-s...